Let’s get honest for a minute. You see my posts about eating healthy and working out and you probably think that it is easy and natural for me. Well, let me tell you something: I am like most of you – I am always on the go and I struggle to find the time and motivation to workout and eat healthy. It’s not easy and it’s not natural for me. I would much rather sit on the couch under a warm blanket and binge watch romantic comedies while stuffing my face with double stuffed Oreos, but how does that help me? Hint: It doesn’t.
With the New Year here, I am jumping on board and have decided to make a commitment to myself – I will make my health a priority this year. I typically do not make resolutions, but this year, I am serious about it. I will make health my priority!
Last month, I talked about easy ways to practice self-care, which is the perfect starting place for my health goals. I think you have to start small to create big, real results and for me, that starts with self-care, even when I am extremely busy. One of the ways I started showing my body self-care was by setting aside time in my routine to drink Bulletproof Coffee! This might seem like an easy addition to you, but let me give you a quick glimpse of my “normal” schedule. Here is what a typical day looks like for me when I am working outside of the house:
5:45/6:00am: Wake up
6:30am: This is the time I set aside for hair, makeup and other “beauty” related tasks.
6:45am: Head downstairs for breakfast and coffee, feed the dogs and let them outside, make lunch and snacks for Ian and myself and hopefully get the chance to unload and reload the dishwasher.
7:00am/7:15am: Head out the door for work.
6:30pm: Get home from work and let the dogs out.
6:40pm: Check the mail, pay any bills, vacuum the floors and start a load of laundry, if needed.
7:15pm: Start cooking dinner.
7:45-8:15pm or so: Eat dinner.
8:15pm: Clean up the dishes and tidy up the kitchen.
8:45pm: This is the time that I usually sit down to check my emails and catch up on any blog work.
9:00pm: If I do not have a lot of work, I will relax for about an hour around 9:00.
10:00/10:30pm: I try to go to bed around this time so I can wake up early the next day.
From first glance, it does not seem like I have any time at all to fit fitness and health into my daily routine, but when there is a will, there is a way!
Here is how I do it:
- If I wake up right at 5:45 instead of hitting snooze until 6:00, I have an extra 15 minutes to fit in a workout. This is extremely easy thanks to the #NewYearBestYou Whole Life Fitness Manifesto 28-day challenge. If you have not heard of this yet, it is a FREE program hosted by Dai Manuel and it is fabulous. Day 1 started yesterday and I am thrilled with it. It is not only a program that will just keep you on track and show you 15-minute workouts, but it also comes with the support and motivation that I desperately need, too. If you are in search for a health program that bundles everything you need to be successful, look no further! You can join me here.
- I try to get my morning off to a healthy start by eating a nutritious breakfast that will fuel my body for the day. After drinking a big glass of water, I usually make a green smoothie packed with vegetables and my Bulletproof Coffee packed with Brain Octane Oil and Grass-fed Ghee. It is my favorite way to get my day started – when I drink my Bulletproof, I feel like I am on top of the world and can get anything done! Many of you do not know, but over the past few years, I have struggled to lose weight. This past month (the month of December), the only change I have made in my routine is by adding Bulletproof into it and I have finally lost my first three pounds. How awesome is that?!
- When I pack our lunches and snacks, I always try to find the healthiest options possible. I usually try to stick with fruits, vegetables, lean meats and some kind of fun snack like dark chocolate, or popcorn so that we do not get bored. I recently found these Fudge Brownie Collagen Bars through Bulletproof and I am so excited about being able to add these into our snack rotation. I have wanted to try Collagen for the longest time because of the amazing health benefits it provides to your body tissues. These bars also have 11 grams of protein per bar and contain Brain Octane Oil, which will definitely help us stay focused and keep us full throughout the day!
- I create lists for the day. This helps me stay on track and get everything done so that I do not have anything hanging over my head. It feels so good to check items off the list!
- I need time to relax on the couch occasionally, which is why I have the hour in my schedule, but I feel like it is very important not to spend all of this time sitting in front of the television. I try to break up the time and add some self-care in there. I like to use this time to read, focus on myself, stretch, walk and make a list for the next day.
- I drink a big glass of water before bed and I am currently working on a “winding down routine” that I can add right before bed! I love the idea of doing bedtime yoga, or maybe even taking a bubble bath.
Living a healthy lifestyle is not exactly “easy”, especially when you are first starting out, but it is so important and I am determined to make each day revolve around creating a better and healthier lifestyle for myself. If you have a New Years resolution to become healthier, I urge you to join me – we can provide support and motivation to each other. Also, don’t forget to check out the Whole Life Fitness Manifesto here and Bulletproof here! Here’s to making 2017 the best year yet!