This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #WellYesMoment #CollectiveBias
My lifestyle is hectic. Most of the time, I am on the go and it is extremely easy to get lost in the time, which leads to either not eating, or eating poorly which then leads to improper nutrition and health. This is where preparation comes in – I make my list, head to Walmart, prep for the week and pack a bag for each day!
The saying, “fail to prepare, prepare to fail” definitely plays a huge role in my life. Let me explain. On days that I do not have my meals planned out, I end up eating junk. Yesterday was actually one of those days. I was working from home, running errands and going to a workout class with my sister. While a grocery trip was on my to-do list, I never got around to it, so I ended up having to search my refrigerator and pantry for food. Can you guess what I ended up eating? For breakfast, I chowed down on ½ a bag of gummy bears. For lunch, I had some chips and a glass of water and then for dinner (before my workout), I ended up eating a protein bar and a cup of tea with some collagen powder mixed in.
This is a prime example of why I need to meal prep every single week. If I don’t, I fail. Today, I want to share with you all how I meal prep and how I create an on the go bag (which I have definitely perfected over the years!). Meal prepping seems time consuming and hard, but it becomes very easy after you do it once. If you live a busy life, this will save so much time and headache in the long run!
HOW TO CREATE AN ON THE GO FOOD BAG TO KEEP YOUR HEALTH GOALS ON TRACK
Let me start off by saying that this does not just have to be an “on the go” food bag. If you work from home (or don’t work at all), this post is for you, as well! Even if I am working from home, I still prepare my food for that day and store it in the fridge because if I don’t, it leads to massive gummy bear consumption instead of eating food that will fuel my body!
- Before I go to the store, I always create a list to bring with me. A common issue for me is going to the store without a list and coming home with a bunch of foods that I shouldn’t be eating. If I have a list, it keeps me on track and I never have to run back to the store twice because I forgot something. Not sure what to include on your list? No worries! To make it easy, I have included what I typically eat and also a few questions below to help you start out:
– For my breakfast, I always make a green smoothie and a coffee to get my day off to a great start. So, I make sure to get all of the ingredients for both of those items. Think about what you typically eat for breakfast. Is it time consuming? If your mornings are hectic, how can you save yourself time? Make sure to choose nutrient dense items!
– For my lunch, I love to have something warm and nutritious. As I walked the aisles of Walmart the other day, I came across Campbell’s Well Yes!™ soup and had to include it in my lunch this week. I am pretty conscious about what I eat and this looked like a great option to include in my bag. It does not have any artificial colors, flavors or ingredients and on top of that, the chicken has NO antibiotics (in relevant flavors). Today, I tried their Tomato Carrot Bisque [contains a touch of cream; vegetarian (2 cups vegetables); non–BPA lining] and I was blown away by how good it was! I will definitely make Campbell’s Well Yes!™ soup a frequent option in my food bag! I also picked up a few other flavors and cannot wait to try them! I usually pair something warm (in this case, the Campbell’s Well Yes!™ soup) with a small bed of salad, some fruit and a vegetable to make it well rounded! I also found out that a ‘Well Yes!™’ offer will be available in the Sunday paper on 3/12 and there will even be an in store demo in select stores 2/16 – 2/19! This combined with the already low price at Walmart will help you save money while eating nutritious!
– For my snacks, I try to get a good balance of proteins, fats and fresh options. I always start out by including as many fruits and vegetables as I possibly can (without getting bored). Some of my go to’s are bananas, grapes, strawberries, apples, blueberries, celery and carrots. I always try to add dipping options for my celery, carrots and apples, so that will usually consist of either hummus or a nut butter. I always add nuts, like pistachios, or almonds to get healthy fats into my diet, especially if I did not include a nut butter. My next step is to add protein like hard boiled eggs, or yogurt. Other snacks I like to include are cheese sticks, dark chocolate, popcorn, protein bars, tea and I always make sure to have plenty of water with me! I try to drink one gallon each day.
– I typically do not include dinners in my food bags because Ian and I usually cook together, but if you need to, try to add lean meats, a lot of leafy greens or other vegetables, and maybe a fruit! A few great options are taco salads, salads topped with chicken, baked chicken with vegetables, or zoodles with turkey meatballs.
- Once you are finished creating your list, head to your local Walmart to pick up your items.
- When you get back home, unpack your bags and begin prepping your food. What I mean by this is wash and cut your veggies, clean your fruit and separate your servings into tupperware containers.
- Stack your containers in the fridge to make it easy to grab and go.
- Each evening, unpack your bag that you ate out of and fill it back up with your food for the next day to make it easy for you in the morning!
- Grab your bag and hit the road when you wake up!
Creating an on the go food bag makes my life so much easier & I hope it will make yours easier and better, as well. If you are busy and cannot find the time to cook for yourself during the day, using these steps will help you stay on track! Also, don’t forget to keep your eyes peeled for the ‘Well Yes!™’ coupon in your Sunday paper on 3/12 and the in store demo (demos are not guaranteed in every store) between the dates of 2/16 – 2/19 so that you can pick up your Campbell’s Well Yes!™ soup at Walmart!